When it comes to finding the best new car for you, it’s important to make sure you’re getting a good deal. Buying a new car is a big decision, one you’ll probably be making payments on for the next few years. And especially if this is your first time buying a car, it can seem overwhelming going through all the safety and features reviews, not to mention narrowing down the cars you may like. Be sure to check out AutoTrader’s car buying guide to help you out in this process. While you’re deciding on your next vehicle, here’s a breakdown of some of the best new cars for 2018.
1. Small Cars: Honda Fit
Known for their reliability and dependability not only as new cars but also at 200,000 miles and beyond, it’s no surprise the amount of Hondas on the lists of best new cars for 2018. In the small car category, the Honda Fit is #1 for its impressive features as well as good crash test ratings. Some of the notable features of this year’s models include:
- Plenty of cabin space (fits comfortably 4 adults)
- Spacious cargo area (16.6-cubic feet)
- Fuel efficiency
- Bluetooth, USB port, and multi-view rearview camera
- Compatible with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Pandora
Since the Honda Fit is so small, it’s an ideal car if you drive mostly within the city limits. If you venture out on the highway a lot, you’ll probably notice the Fit is a bit slow to accelerate. The car’s good gas mileage helps make up for this, however, getting 33 mpg in the city and 40 mpg highway. Models with manual transmission are a little lower, with 29 mpg in the city and 36 mpg highway.
2. Compact Cars: Honda Civic
The next Honda on the list is the iconic Honda Civic, which has undergone a few changes in the last decade for a sleeker appearance. What gives the Civic an edge over its competitors this year is its fuel economy, which along with high safety scores and plenty of cargo and cabin space make it a great pick for your next vehicle.
The Honda Civic comfortably seats 4-5 adults, and averages 22-32 mpg in the city and 28-42 on the highway. Other qualities of this year’s Civic include:
- 15 cubic feet of trunk space
- Turbocharged four-cylinder engine
- Bluetooth, 5-inch display screen, and USB port (increased features on higher trim level Civics)
- Audio controls on the steering wheel
- Climate controls on the dashboard
For a standard, classy car, the Honda Civic is a great choice as it maintains its reliability and dependability year after year. Hondas are arguably among the best cars in the market, with several fantastic options to choose from. If you want a smaller car with more room than the Fit, a Civic is an ideal choice for you.
3. Midsize Cars: Toyota Camry
Not to let Hondas hog all the attention, there are some pretty great Toyotas high on the ratings this year, too. A midsize Toyota getting a bit of attention in 2018 is the Camry. With its impressive array of standard safety features and user-friendly infotainment system, it’s perfect for the tech-savvy driver looking to enjoy their driving experience on long and short trips. This year’s Camry is also fully redesigned, giving it an even classier look than before. The 2018 Camry’s impressive features include:
- Great gas mileage (22-29 mpg city, 32-41 mpg highway)
- Sleek interior design and spacious cabin
- Access to iHeart Radio, Pandora, Slacker and Yelp when connected to a smartphone
- Siri Eyes Free and voice control features
Comfortably seating 5 adults, the Camry is a good choice for both in-city and longer travels. The trunk space is a bit less this year, sitting at 15.1 cubic feet, but the comfort of the ride makes up for this decrease in space. With four-cylinder engines starting at 203-horsepower, you’ll easily get a burst of speed on those daily drives.
4. Large Cars: Toyota Avalon
Last but not least on this list is the Toyota Avalon, which this year comes with plenty of safety, technology and comfort features sure to satisfy you and all your passengers. Without any major changes this year, the Avalon’s features include:
- Decent gas mileage (21 mpg city/30 mpg highway)
- Infotainment system controls similar to touch screen, usable even when you’re wearing gloves
- Robust V6 engine for a smooth ride
For a car with the same amenities but an even smoother ride, check out the Avalon Hybrid.
Choosing the Right Car for You
At the end of the day, you’re the one who knows best which car can meet your needs. Don’t be afraid to take your time shopping around to find the best deal so you can find something right for you at a price you can afford.